RE: Nielsen's Rating

Subject: RE: Nielsen's Rating
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 14:43:08 -0500

>Laptop computers are now commonplace. A 13" laptop screen with 800 x 600
>resultion has both a dpi and ppi figure of 1,000/13 = 77dpi (or ppi). Even
>for a 12" x 800 x 600 TFT display, this is just 83dpi. You need 1024 x 768
>resolution with a screen size of 14" or less to get to 90dpi.

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten the old iBook (13" 800x600). Thank you. Let me amend
my statement. There is *1* machine with less than 90dpi among the machines
I've checked on. The laptops around here are all at least 1024x768, with
the one exception.

Otherwise, you make the same comment I was about to make on the screen
resolution logs. Without the viewable size in inches of the monitor, it's
impossible to reliably determine the pixel density of the screen. There's
more than one 17" monitor in this building set at 1600x1200 (no, not mine;
my old eyes can't take that kind of abuse) which works out to about 126ppi.
640x480 is about the only resolution you can count on as being under 90
(you'd have to get to 9" screens before that would be the case). From the
logs we can assume 7% is the low figure (I'm actually rather astounded that
the figure was so high, love to get more details about those machines; are
there really still people out there cruising the web with 486's?) but
there's no real way of placing an upper limit on the number.

But we're ranging far afield of the original contention, which began with
my statement that the description of monitors being 72 dpi was a myth,
which, thanks now to Paul's weblog we see was accurate perhaps in spirit
(unprovable either way from the data) but not in the letter. Which
contention was itself was born of the idea that PDF was somehow at fault
because a designer could choose a font which wouldn't render well on
screen.

Is this horse dead yet?

Have fun,
Arlen