RE: tech pubs organizational question

Subject: RE: tech pubs organizational question
From: "Lurker writer" <lurker_writer -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 07:36:25 -0500

Apoligies for the diatribe...

I have to agree with Bill and some comments from Jason on this issue. From my many years experience in the hardware world, in an organization that is engineering driven (versus market- or customer-driven), you're at the mercy of the people who populate the 0s-and-1s universe. Unless you happen to work for an enlightened engineering manager and team, engineering won't give a rat zass about any issues other than the technical accuracy of the content.

The plus side: you can become very well versed in a product or technology and you establish closer ties to SMEs. As you become more educated in the product or technology, you'll start to be appreciated more like a team member rather than the little brother who's always trying to tag along with big brother and his friends.

Make sure budget $$ is available for your training/skills development needs if you're going to be working in such an environment. Maintain contact with other writers in your company. At a previous employer, writers were deeply embedded in the engineering teams and there was a feeling of isolation, not unlike Tom Hanks in "Castaway." OK, that's an exaggeration, but we came close to using secret handshakes to identify each other in the halls. I started a "Company X FrameMaker User's Group" and scheduled monthly meetings just so like-minded people could assemble. That wasn't as successful as I had planned. People were too busy to attend the meetings. The company sponsored (they covered expenses) a "Company X Technical Communicators Association" that met annually immediately after the STC conference. That was very successful as TWs from all over the globe would meet for 2.5 days and focus on issues common to all business units. The company stopped supporting that effort in 1998 shortly before I left.

From the marketing perspective, a previous poster was correct in that
engineering can on rare instances seemingly sabotage (I've seen it done) the efforts of a marketing-aligned technical publications team to justify hiring their own technical writers. The plus side: you're more likely to work on a team of writers in marketing, report to someone versed in tech writing (a doc manager, a team lead, etc.), and follow some best-known methods or standards for producing consistent documentation. The down side: in an engineering firm, the marketing team is still composed of engineers but with a focus other than design, so there's still some element of "prove yourself to me" that goes on.

I once worked in a company whose tech pubs team was part of marketing services. In a documentation post-mortem report, I wrote that not being a member of the product development team (nor being invited to attend weekly meetings) kept me out of the loop of information I needed for successfully completing my job responsibilities. The lead design engineer told me "I can't see why or how giving you visibility into the product development team process would help. Most of that information is high-level and not the nitty-gritty details you'd want." Trouble was, without having that steady stream of information (versus the tidbits and spoon feeding I received), I couldn't plan for scaling documentation efforts for that project because I wasn't aware of upcoming design changes, problems with the design, etc. Instead, it was all dropped over my cube wall at the last minute, like a hand grenade.
So, I took it upon myself to find out when the meetings were being held, and I attended anyway. I also got on the distribution for the meeting minutes.

So, there's land mines in both approaches and each offers its own set of challenges. Just be sure that the proper people are informed of your information/training needs, and they understand the value-add that you bring to the product.