Re: old programming languages (was RE: Jumpstart a programming abilit y)

Subject: Re: old programming languages (was RE: Jumpstart a programming abilit y)
From: Joy Brady-Beer <joy_m_brady -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 06:05:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- Amanda Nance <Amanda -dot- Nance -at- VITALPS -dot- COM> wrote:
> "COBOL is an all but dead language..."
<SNIP>
but aren't there some situations in which knowing an
old language could give you an advantage?

My knowledge of COBOL and Assembler secured my job
with my current employer! COBOL is alive and well in
banking. I do know Javascript, Visual Basic (and
VBScript), ASP (using VBScript, really), Pascal, and
am presently learning Java and C++. My orientation is
toward sharing information on the company's Intranet,
so. BUT... good old COBOL got me the job! :-)

=====
Joy Beer
Columbus, Ohio, USA
"If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be
vague."

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/