ADMIN: TECHWR-L Instructions Reminder

Subject: ADMIN: TECHWR-L Instructions Reminder
From: TECHWR-L Administrators <admin -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 05:05:24 -0700 (PDT)

Gang,
Here's a reminder of the basic "how do I" stuff for the

Please, in particular, make sure that your system vacation
("John Doe is in Hawaii until August 1, neener, neener, neener")
messages are _not_ sent to either the list or to individual
posters based on TECHWR-L messages. That is, a poster to
system. Contact me with questions, although do keep in mind
that I don't run your office email system, so can't tell you
how to do that--that's a question for your local system
administrator. If all else fails, set TECHWR-L to NOMAIL
before you leave, then reset MAIL or DIGEST when you return.

Thanks,
Eric

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Revised 1 March 2001

BASIC TECHWR-L INFORMATION

SUMMARY: You can do everything you need to do and find anything
you need to know about TECHWR-L by visiting (and bookmarking)
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/subscribercentral.html

Q: What's the best way to change my subscription options,
change my address, subscribe, unsubscribe, or even read
messages on TECHWR-L?
A: Use the Web interface at:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/subscribercentral.html
(Bookmark it for easy reference.)

Q: How do I post messages to the TECHWR-L list?
A: Send a _plain_ _text_ message to:

Q: I want to unsubscribe from the list but don't want to
visit the Web site, look up these instructions, read the
FAQ or anything. I just want to send the listowner an email
and have him do it. What will he say?
A: The listowner will tell you to read the last five lines of
any message (other than the Premium Announcement posting) sent
to the list. He'll ask you if you've followed the instructions
on the line that starts with "To unsubscribe...". He'll ask
what error messages you received when you tried following
those instructions. Then, he'll suggest gently that, as you
managed to subscribe on your own and on purpose, you can
probably sign off in the same manner. So, try that first.

Q: I would rather read TECHWR-L through a newsgroup. Is this
possible?
A: Absolutely! The bit.listserv.techwr-l newsgroup (widely
distributed throughout the Internet) is a mirror of this
list. Alternatively, you can access a private newsgroup
from news://lists.raycomm.com/techwr-l (which is a spam-free

Q: I would like to use a Web browser to read TECHWR-L. Can I?
You can read TECHWR-L through the archive address at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.html.
To post, you'll have to subscribe and send the
"SET TECHWR-L NOMAIL" command to LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM -dot-

Q: I'd like to learn more about the list, find topic summaries,
and get all-in-one-spot access to instructions, rules, and
related information about TECHWR-L. Where should I go?
A: Find all of this information and more at the Official

Q: Who is the listowner and how do I contact him?
A: Eric Ray is the owner (that's me), and my address is
EJRAY -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

POSSIBLE PROBLEMS AND RESOLUTIONS

Q: Why am I having trouble posting to the list?
A: Due to problems with spamming, the TECHWR-L list
is restricted. Only subscribers to the list can
post. If you are a subscriber but your E-mail address
(as shown on your outgoing messages) has changed, you'll
have problems and have to make your subscribed address
match the address from which you post.
You can do this either through the Web site at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/subscribercentral.html
or by unsubscribing (using the instructions at the end of
every message you get from the list) and resubscribing.
(Note: There's no point in getting surly -- subscription and
verification of your identity both take place automatically
via the Lyris software. If, as is highly likely, your address
changed without your knowledge, your local system
administrators are the only ones to yell at.)

Q: Why did my message bounce back from Compuserve (or AOL or
any other address besides something @lists.raycomm.com)?
A: You post an article. You get a bounce message a few minutes
later. You swear, "Rats, it didn't work." You post again.
Trouble is, you can get a bounce message because there's one
bad address on the subscriber list (someone who didn't
unsubscribe before losing an account, for instance). The
bounce message generally tells you that, if read carefully--
or you could just wait and see if your article shows up.
So, before reposting a "bounced" article, please be sure
it was truly bounced from the whole list and not just
undeliverable to a single addressee. Contact the listowner
before reposting if you have any doubt. (Thanks to Stan
Brown for this one. EJR)

Q: I tried to post a message and had it returned to me with
a rejection message about attachments or HTML or something.
What's going on, and what should I do?
A: The list processing software is set to reject all HTML-
formatted messages as well as all attachments. Additionally,
messages containing more than 30 consecutive quoted lines
will also be returned. These limits exist to keep attachments
from polluting the list (they show up as garbage for many
readers, and can spread viruses and the like when they don't
end up as garbage) and to discourage wholesale quotations--like
including the entire digest for a one liner comment.

GENERAL INFORMATION
Q: Where can I find other information about TECHWR-L
and about technical communication in general?
A: At the Official TECHWR-L Web site, which you'll find at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/. You'll also find the
latest information about the list, links to archives, and
a ton of other information.

Q: Are archives for TECHWR-L available on the Web and how do I
get them?
Q: Dear Listowner, I inadvertently deleted some Techwhirl
messages and need them back. Could you please send me....
A: TECHWR-L archives are available through the Web at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.html and at
http://www.documentation.com/techwrit/techwrit-l.htm
and probably other places.

Q: Why is it that you let other people post off-topic stuff, but
then you remind me about what the posting guidelines are? If
they can do it, I can do it!
A: The listowner does not generally moderate this list. That is,
everything sent to the list appears on the list. Phrased
differently, the listowner cannot exercise any control over
what other people post, but probably reminded them about the
posting guidelines as well.

Q: I have a message that would interest many of the subscribers,
but don't want to post it to the whole list. Can I just get
the list of subscribers and send it myself, or at least send
selectively to many subscribers?
A: No.

Q: Where do I send additions, corrections, and comments about
this posting?
A: To Eric, the listowner, of course. EJRAY -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

CHANGING SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS VIA EMAIL
(Listowner recommendation: Use the Web interface at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/subscribercentral.html
rather than using email to manage your subscription--it's
more flexible and more powerful.)

Q: How do I subscribe to TECHWR-L?
A: Send a message (any or no content) to:
JOIN-TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Q: How do I unsubscribe?
A: The best and most reliable solution is to use the instructions
at the bottom of each message you get from the list. That address is
customized for you and will almost always work, even if your mail
address has changed.

Q: My company's mail server had problems for a few days
and now I'm not getting TECHWR-L mail. What do I do?
A: Your subscription was probably automatically put on hold
because of your bounced mail. You were notified, but if
the hold message _also_ bounced, you'll hear nothing but
silence. By the way, don't let your system administrator
tell you that this is normal (it's not) or that there were
no problems on your end (if you were held, there was
a problem. To fix this, send a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Put anything on the subject line, and include on the
first line of the message:
UNHOLD

Q: What are digests and how do I get them?
A: Digests are daily mailings which include all
postings to TECHWR-L from the last 24 hours. These
are unedited, and unmoderated--they just give you
one big message instead of many little ones.
To get digests (assuming you are a subscriber),
send a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Put anything on the subject line, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L DIGEST

Q: My digests are coming through as lots of little attachments
rather than a single longer file--can I fix it?
A: Usually you can fix that--although it depends to an extent
on your email system. Try sending a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Put anything on the subject line, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L DIGEST

Q: My digests are coming through as a single long file
but I'd rather have a bunch of little attachments. Can
I change it?
A: Depending on your mail system, you might be able to change it.
Try sending a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L MIMEDIGEST

Q: I want to stop my mail or digest, but I don't want to
unsubscribe because I hate that confirmation process.
What do I do?
A: To stop your mail or digest (assuming you are a subscriber),
send a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L NOMAIL

Q: I stopped my mail using NOMAIL, and now I want regular mail.
What do I do?
A: To change back to regular mail,
send a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L MAIL

Q: I got digests, and now I want regular mail. What do
I do?
A: To change from digests back to regular mail,
send a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L MAIL

http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/
Eric -- Listowner Deborah -- Webmaster/Editor