RE: future functionality

Subject: RE: future functionality
From: "Diane Evans" <dianee -at- lockstream -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 08:50:05 -0700

Jason replies:

>I tried documenting the featureless features once. I wrote "a read-only
>button with no apparent functionality" as the field description for one of
>those little "future functionality" widgets. I thought that the developer
>would be horrified and remove the control. Nope. Tech review came back
and
>he said that it looked just fine.

>So I left it in. (Yes, my editor did poop a square brick, but she left it
>in.) Now, whenever you access the What's This help from that button, that
>little message pops up.

I love it! I am currently documenting a piece of software that the company
hopes to sell, but only four people in the world know how to use it right
now (1 developer, 3 users). I asked what the "CV" button does, and was told
that it wasn't functioning yet. I suggested that it stood for "Curricula
Vitae" and was the button that the user could activate when he got so
frustrated he decided to look for a new job...

Diane Evans
Information Developer
Lockstream