Re: Damnit Jim, I'm a Writer, not a Programmer II: The Wrath of K ahn

Subject: Re: Damnit Jim, I'm a Writer, not a Programmer II: The Wrath of K ahn
From: "Martin Soderstrom" <scribbler1382 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 13:00:19 -0400

It would seem to me that you are all right, in varying degrees. But
something that no one seems to be taking into consideration is the old "know
your audience" adage. If you're writing for developers or engineers, and
relying on your in-house SMEs to do your job for you (find mistakes, confirm
how wonderful you are, etc.) your books are going to suck. Period. Oh,
your work may be chocked fuller of facts than cellulite cells in Oprah's
butt, but they're not going to tell anyone =how= to do anything.

And the idea that having multiple SMEs removes your onus to understand what
you're saying is ludicrous. SMEs are about as meticulous as a Nascar driver
reading a map on a bank turn in Tallahassee.

For myself, I most definitely consider myself a "writer" first (as my really
bad fiction can attest), but I also take my level of technical expertise
=extremely= seriously.

All IMHO, of course. ;)