RE: Damnit Jim, I'm a Writer, not a Programmer II: The Wrath of K ahn

Subject: RE: Damnit Jim, I'm a Writer, not a Programmer II: The Wrath of K ahn
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:12:25 -0400

Peter [mailto:pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com] said:

>for you non-programmers. try to decipher the meaning of a
>statement such
>as
>
>fprintf(urt, "%f.6 %s " , dr, (i=0;1+%r\d;++i));
>
>Without a basic understanding of the language, few could tell whether I
>have made a syntax error, never mind the meaning.

Er... fine...

All you list-members whose job description
includes a significant amount of software QA,
please stand up.

Now, speaking from [what would appear to be]
the opposite camp:

When I include a chunk of code in a toolkit
or API doc, I don't make it up. I get it from
the development team. I copy and paste, precisely
so that I won't introduce any thumb-generated
errors.

I usually glance over it to see that the sample
addresses the topic of the current document section
-- say a discussion of a group of functions or
of a sample implementation of a "real world"
activity. In other words, is there enough here
to show a customer/developer what direction s/he
out to be taking, to meet a certain kind of requirement
or task?

I feel I need to know enough about C and C++ to avoid
using some words in general text where those words are
also terms with specific meanings within the languages.
I (and my employer) benefit from my having a passing
familiarity with what the code looks like. Neither of
us really thinks it's worthwile for me to spend
our time and their money learning to code in C++ or
JAVA, to even the shaky standard of our rawest novice
programmer.

I've got a requisition submitted, to have my registration,
travel and accomodation paid for the FrameUsers
/c/o/n/f/e/r/e/n/c/e/ Workshop this year, and it'll
probably be approved. Last year, it was the STC
Convention. If I requested some training or some
materials to learn more about one of my tools, I'd
get that, as well. I would not get approval for
company time and funding for a programming course,
nor for attendance at a SW-designers convention.

Similarly, none of our programmers/developers is
going with me to FrameUsers, nor are they likely
to get sent to a FrameMaker or Illustrator course,
nor a workshop on Indexing and cataloging, nor
anything on Acrobat publishing techniques.

Funny how that works.

When it turns out that there's a problem with
multi-threading with our product on one of the
supported platforms, I don't really need to know
(nor would I benefit that much from knowing) the
character-by-character explanation of the problem
and eventual solution. I do know what multi-threading
is (though I couldn't program an application to do
it, to save my life) and I can express the concept
in the right words when I tell our customers the
suggested workaround. Without knowing the tiny
detail of each case, I know generally what compiler
and library incompatibilities are, and can write
sensibly about either the condition or the fix/
workaround. I can write usefully and comprehendingly
about driver conflicts and the idiosyncracies of
getting software to work on various platforms,
though I leave it to somebody else to actually
figure out what's wrong THIS time, and to give
me the gist of what I should convey in the docs.

I can ask sensible questions, and I can ask dumb
ones. Fortunately, most of our developers receive
the e-mail threads from our Customer Support group
(for the same educational reasons I do), and realize
that my generalist knowledge often exceeds the
programming and operational knowledge of some of our
customers.
It turns out that most of my "dumb" questions weren't
so dumb after all.

Furthermore, I'm not Product Verification or
Software QA, but I've been known to break the
product when investigating it, or to ask embarrassing
questions that resulted in re-work. But that's all
incidental to learning what the product does, how to
make it do it, and how to explain that to others.

The company must like something about what I
do. They keep paying me.
They might even pay me more if I took some
courses, demonstrated that I was now a programmer,
and worked my way up the developer ranks. But, I
don't want to write code for a living, and if I were
to change career paths, the company would then need
to hire someone to do what I do today. Even for us
generalists, ain't specialization, and the division
of labor, a wonderful thing?

YMMV

/kevin