RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:51:05 -0400

:: Real World (the vacuum) = We have little contact with users and have
:: difficulty getting technical reviews of our work (as per an
:: earlier poll).

I thought I heard a sucking noise... ;)

I'd say that this poll only strengthens how important it is to "know thy
user". First, look at the numbers reflected in the poll. Second, reflect
upon how useful the accompanying documentation for products you've purchased
was. Third, ponder why. And if you're ambitious, after those three steps,
look into the technical validity of that documentation.

It sounds like a downer, but it's not all that terrible. Ever go to
McDonald's and get a cheeseburger where the cheese is half off the bun, the
bun is squished, and it's overloaded with onions and mustard? Ever run to
the grocery store to grab a few items and hit the express checkout lane,
only to be greeted by the world's slowest cashier? Ever buy a new car and
have the radio or another feature crap out on you the next day? Or how about
have a vending machine eat your money?

Life's full of imperfections. That doesn't mean we stop trying to hit the
higher mark and deal with situations as-is. So strive to know thy user, and
strive to get that damn tech review! Someday you will, and the process will
seem a little less imperfect. :)

BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N