RE: ATM Driveup with Braille Followup

Subject: RE: ATM Driveup with Braille Followup
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:46:11 -0500

Really, there is no way for a blind user to use a standard walk-up ATM
machine either. You have to be able to read the prompts on the machine to
know which buttons to hit when. You can't just memorize them either because
the network lag time varies so much (the one outside our cafeteria has been
taking an extremely long time this week). The buttons, however, are in
Braille.

It reminds me of a sign I saw years ago on the student center of a community
college where I was talking a Spanish class (with a blind instruction, BTW).
At the rear entrance to the building (the one facing the rest of the
campus), there is a pair of automatic sliding doors. On the doors are signs
warning you that they are automatic. The text is repeated in Braille, but
the doors are in motion long before you can get close enough to feel the
Braille. When I told my teacher about it, she thought it was hilarious, and
we figured that it must be for blind speed readers. <g>