Writing nonsexistly <g> (Was: Pronouns with User)

Subject: Writing nonsexistly <g> (Was: Pronouns with User)
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:19:25 -0400

Keith Cronin responded to my comment that it's easy to write
nongender-specific text "with a little practice" reports: <<I do NOT find it
easy. In trying to avoid the grammatically incorrect practice of using
"their" as a pronoun referring to a single user (which sounds okay in
conversation, but makes most editors cringe),>>

First off, it's emphatically not grammatically incorrect, as even a basic
dictionary will show. For example, the second definition of "their" in
Webster's New Collegiate is as follows: "his or her: his her its-- used with
an indefinite third person singular antecedent". The fact that many editors
and most writers don't know this always surprises me.

<<I frequently find myself having to write very awkward phrases to remain
politically correct on this issue, particularly when dealing with possessive
pronouns. Do you have any tips and tricks?>>

Many of them, in fact. For example:
- eliminate the pronoun: The editor must maintain good relations with
[delete "his"] authors.
- repeat the noun or refocus the meaning: The editor must maintain good
relations with authors. The editor's success [or refocusing: the success of
the editing] depends on it.
- use plural forms: Editors [not: the Editor] must... with their...
- use neutral forms: Editors must account for the reader's [not: his or her]
needs
- use the imperative where possible: Use your initiative [not: the reader
should use his own initiative]

When I said this is easy, I did note that it took practice--and that means
it's not going to happen without some work on your part. Pick one of these
approaches that's relevant to your current work, and spend a day
concentrating on using the approach. By the end of the day, using it will
become something of a habit. After a few days, you'll do it without thinking
about it. Then you can pick a second approach and start using it. Worked for
me!

<<(I'm hoping you're not an advocate of s/he or he/she, etc.)>>

Nope. They're ugly, ill-formed, and generally unnecessary. I'll use s/he
occasionally in informal situations, but not formally.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse [Woman Happily Overcoming Repulsive
E-mailfiltering]. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has
pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle
their pockets for new vocabulary."-- James D. Nicoll