RE: Can I highlight in FrameMaker6???

Subject: RE: Can I highlight in FrameMaker6???
From: "Karl Maybach" <km -at- Catalog-international -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 17:17:25 +0200

> Please could someone tell me whether I can highlight words or
> phrases in FrameMaker6 (in yellow, for example)? I can't
> find an entry in the manual, and there seems to be nothing in
> the character format box. Help!!!!

You are right; as far as I know, you cannot add background color behind
a line of text in FrameMaker. Your best workaround will depend on why
you want to do this.

* If you are making notes to yourself and/or other proofreaders, you
could use conditional text and let it be formatted in an eye-catching
way, such as red, bold, underlined, etc. (I do this). That makes it easy
to find the notes both visually and using the program's search function.
Also, you can hide this conditional text before printing if you want to
keep comments until the next document revision.

* If you need to highlight something for users to find, you basically
need to use some other way of indicating the text, such as underlining
or bolding or, if producing in color, text coloration.

* If you absolutely must have color behind text, you will probably need
to import a graphic or (if you are on windows) insert the relevant
sections of text as word OLE objects (try to copy and paste straight
from Word into FrameMaker to see what I mean). I find the OLE solution a
bit scary and cannot say for sure if that is _really_ a good idea.

- Karl Maybach