Mil Specs and IETM question

Subject: Mil Specs and IETM question
From: "Beth Kane" <kanerb -at- concentric -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:10:32 -0700

I am thinking of applying for a job that has this requirement:

"Knowledge of technical writing specifications like MIL-STD 38784,
MIL-STD 87929, and MIL-STD 40051."

I've never laid eyes on any Mil Specs. Do you think it's possible for a
person to bone up on them and get a chance at an interview? "Knowledge of"
IS a rather vague req., so I would guess so. And where I could find them?
I've searched the Web, and so far, have found a site wanting to charge me
$50-$75 for a copy of just one of those specs. I'll check the library.

ANY other misc. info you might have about Mil Specs is welcome, too.

Oh, and while I'm begging for info, I'd also like to know whether any of you
can tell me a little about "Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals
(IETM)." I had never heard that term. What type of software is used to
create them?

Thanks VERY much,

Beth Kane
Senior technical writer