Re: Spelling out, was Acronyms

Subject: Re: Spelling out, was Acronyms
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:56:02 -0400

Speaking as someone who DOES remember what ASCII stands for (not to mention Binary Coded Decimal (BCD) and Extended Binary Coded Decimal Interchange Code (EBCDIC), who also knows that COmmon Business Oriented Language (COBOL) was developed by the COmmittee for DAta SYstem Languages (CODASYL), who learned Symbolic Processing System (SPS), FORmula TRANslation (FORTRAN), and ALgebra Oriented Language (ALGOL) before most list members were born, I gotta say I'm on your side on this one. ;-)

By the way, I understand the the protocol used to communicate between scanners and PCs, TWAIN, is an acronym for Technology Without An Interesting Name. If that's true, I'd probably want to spell it out in a manual just for the fun of it.