RE: Word to pdf????

Subject: RE: Word to pdf????
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:00:24 -0400

Creating PDFs is a printing process. The best way to do it is a PostScript
printing process. A good way to get there from MS Word is by buying Adobe
Acrobat (what is it, $250?).

Before you buy, though, consider this: with each new release of Office and
seemingly with each new release of an OS since Win2k, Microsoft has dropped
support for the existing Acrobat software. That is to say, Acrobat 4 worked
with Win95, 98, NT, and 2000, but when WinME came out, many people could not
run Acrobat. Thus, when Acrobat 5 came out and ran with Win 95, 98, NT,
2000, and ME, MS came out with the Xp/2002 products and Acrobat is not
supported again (there's a workaround for Office XP, I don't know about
WinXP).

In other words, if you choose to use Acrobat, I recommend holding on to the
existing Microsoft product set for 9 months after the new MS product set is
released, to maintain compatibility with your existing software while those
legacy manufacturers whose products are excluded from the new release of
Microsoft play catchup. And, by which I mean, if you get Acrobat 5, don't
use it yet with Office XP, Office 2002, or Windows XP.

Cheers,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

P.S. How does WP get to PDF? A Postscript process?