RE: Spelling out, was Acronyms

Subject: RE: Spelling out, was Acronyms
From: Anne -dot- Robotti -at- radisys -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:36:31 -0400

Tom, I respectfully disagree.

Many people, me included, might not have known what ASCII stands for, but
I certainly know what it is and how to use it and what the implications
are of text being in ASCII rather than formatted. And I don't think that
my knowledge base was greatly broadened by knowing what the letters stand
for, in fact I've already forgotten. I think if the acronym helps to
explain the concept, then it's okay to define it. If it adds nothing to
the discussion, leave it out.

Anne Robotti
Technical Writer
RadiSys Corporation
7 Clarke Drive, Cranbury NJ 08512
(609) 655-3111 x-326
Do not meddle in the affairs of technical writers, for the box contains
three jacks and the board only has two plugs...

Notice how many on THIS list didn't know the meaning of ASCII?