Re: For those who hire... what makes a resume stand out?

Subject: Re: For those who hire... what makes a resume stand out?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:01:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Something else I've noticed along these lines. People doing the
> reading/hiring don't give a rat's *** what you want. They don't want
> to know that you want a fulfilling job, that you want to take
> advantage of "X", or that you are looking to get "Y" out of the
> experience.

Welcome to the real world, John. Many companies do not care what you want.
I think this is the result of companies becoming large, pointless
bureaucracies where everybody is in a desperate attempt to defend their
turf. Ambition and enthusiasm are suspicious because it translates to them
that you're going to steal the small patch of power they have carved out
for themselves.

> They want to know one thing. What are you going to do for me? What,
> in your experience, makes me believe that you are going to be very
> productive, very quickly. What's in it for me? What are you going to
> do to make my job easier, my company more profitable. Are you going
> to make me look better to my board? To my shareholders? To my
> management peers? Save me money? Increase profit? Increase regulatory
> compliance? Get me more sex? I don't care how you are going to
> increase my quality of life, but if you want to work here, you must
> do so FOR ME.

Let's not forget that companies hire you because they need something...and
its not a friend. They need capability and skill. And part of assessing
that is looking at a person and saying "what can you do for us."

I also think this is an outgrowth of "Burnism." So many companies have
been so badly burned by incompetent tech writers that they are hesitant to
hire anybody without running them through the ringer. I get it too. I meet
with new clients and they treat me like crap. Its just part of the game -
you have to prove yourself FIRST. Then you get loved.

Andrew Plato

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/