Re: For those who hire... what makes a resume stand out?

Subject: Re: For those who hire... what makes a resume stand out?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:54:32 -0700

KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com wrote:

I thought of that, but I retain the Interests/Hobbies section because it has proven useful. People ASK in interviews, when they see "Skydiving". They also tend to take it the right way when I highlight "Instructor for x-many years" and list my coaching certifications.

I've had the same response with the fact that I raise and have bred parrots. In fact, I got one job because the VP also raised parrots; he had a parrot playground on the window sill of his office, and we started talking about birds during the interviews.

However,the way I see things, my resume is a marketing tool designed to persuade the company that I have skills that it can use. I don't expect anyone to take a personal interest in me until I'm called in for an interview.

Anyway, Interests/Hobbies is usually the last category in the resume. If anyone reads that far, they usually do so because they're interested in your skills and are already considering you for an interview.

So, better to leave it off and shorten the resume. I think that all the head-hunters whom I know would agree.

"What you don't ponder in your life
You'll ponder when you're dead."
- The Mollys, "Yer Drunk Again/Polka del Diablo"