Word-PDF-graphics quality

Subject: Word-PDF-graphics quality
From: "Larisa Grujic" <Grujicl -at- ceu -dot- hu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 13:50:28 +0200

Hello All.

My first message to the group is inspired by two-day long suffering through converting a word (97) file with screen captures (.wmf) to .pdf (Acrobat 3.01). The problem was that graphics looked terrible both on screen and on paper in the pdf file. I looked through the archives and trying out all recommended settings in Distiller, the situation did not improve at all. Finally, I found a message saying that opening and printing the file from Acrobat 4 should solve the problem. And it did: the printouts are perfect.

Now, I am wandering:

1. Was my problem caused by printing the pdf from Acrobat Exchange [I do not have Reader 3 and cannot check how it prints]?

2. Should I expect that my readers who are still using Reader 3 would not be able to get decent printouts of my pdfs?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Larisa

Larisa Grujic, Research Assistant
Department of Environmental Sciences & Policy
Central European University
Nador u. 9, 1051 Budapest, Hungary
http://matisse.ceu.hu/departs/envsci/