Re: For those who hire... what makes a resume stand out?

Subject: Re: For those who hire... what makes a resume stand out?
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 08:45:09 -0600

> Subject: Re: For those who hire... what makes a resume stand out?
> From: Anne -dot- Robotti -at- radisys -dot- com
> Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 13:06:52 -0400

> I took the Objective off my resume five years ago and never looked
back.
> That and Interests/Hobbies.

As have I.

If I recall right, the last time I had an objective was 1987.

A few years after that, Interests/Hobbies got replaced with Community
Involvement. Later, that disappeared, and the section is now called
Memberships.

Under memberships, I list things like the STC and Toastmasters. On
the next contract hunt, I can add the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce.

Along the way, I've also nuked Summary of Qualifications. Seems kind
of redundant when highlighting those qualifications of interest to the
potential future client are going to get highlighted in the cover
letter.

> I saw a resume the other day that had the woman's height and weight
on it
> - has anybody ever heard of this?

Though I've never seen it, there are some careers where it might be
important. For example, I understand fire fighters have to meet
certain height and weight minimums.

--

John Fleming
Technical Writer