Re: For those who hire... what makes a resume stand out (long)

Subject: Re: For those who hire... what makes a resume stand out (long)
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:52:22 -0500

It might not have helped.

I applied for a tech writing job while still in college, and while I didn't get it, a few months later I was called back to interview for another position. The person who called me told me it was a clerical position, not tech writing, but it would be a good way to get my foot in the door. But at the interview, when I asked what the position actually *was* (after lots of questions about filing and project management software), the interviewer looked at my resume, saw the "technical writer" in my objective, and said "Oh, ummm, I guess it's a tech writer." I wonder if he told the next person he interviewed that it was a tech writer position?

If you're going to use an objective, don't forget to tailor it for the position you're applying for, if necessary. This should be a no-brainer, but I received a resume for an instructional developer position with an objective that gave the applicant's goal as a career in banking and finance.

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okcareertech.org/cimc

>>> Christina Rothwell <crothwell -at- bowstreet -dot- com> 07/13/01 03:40PM >>>

Perhaps if she had seen something to the effect of "Objective: To obtain a
technical writing position while finding the holy grail" in blinking lights
at the top of my resume, she may have realized at once that she had made a mistake. Then, again maybe that wouldn't have helped. I didn't have anything in my resume to make her think I would want that position.