RE: Documentation and Security

Subject: RE: Documentation and Security
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:40:02 -0400

Tanja asked about securing a user's manual for the web hosting industry due
to widespread plagarism.

"I'll soon be working on a web-hosting service "user manual" for one
of my clients. She is super-concerned about competitors stealing
this manual - apparently she has had to take legal action 10 times
in the past 5 years against competitors who have used copyrighted
material from her site. She tells me that a well-written user manual
is a hot commodity in the web-hosting biz, so she's really worried
about security."

Who is the audience for this user's guide? If a (relatively) small subset of
the general public will be reading this document, is it feasible to post it
on a password-protected portion of the site? Require readers to authenticate
before reading the document.

Of course, there are drawbacks to this method -- accessibility comes to mind
first. If I had to jump thru hoops to read the documentation on a product,
I'd be less likely to read it.

Megan Golding
SecureWorks, Inc.
mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net