RE: Format of Installation Guides

Subject: RE: Format of Installation Guides
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:07:53 -0400

Sarah writes:
"I'm just about to create a template for
an installation guide.
"I was wondering does anyone have any tips
about how an installation guide could be
formatted that makes it easy to read and
use?"

The formatting should consist of text, tables, graphics, and any other
information presentation formats suitable for the information you are
transmitting via the guide. White space should be used as appropriate to
distinguish blocks of information from each other and tie certain
information types together when needed. Headers and footers should be used
to contain such information as page numbers, company name, product name,
and/or running main heading information.

;)

Sorry, but ask a basic question... *g*

Look at other installation guides you've seen before and make judgment calls
based on the information you need to supply to your readers. I've seen
everything from an index card, to a poster-size visual guide, to a bound
manual. No one format is best. It all depends on what info you need to
supply to your readers, and what format makes sense for that info.

BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N
1881 Worcester Road