RE: Newbie/tight market question

Subject: RE: Newbie/tight market question
From: edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:32:39 -0400

This topic has been brought up before. The following was my attitude then, and
it's my attitude now:

What business is it of my next employers to know how much I was paid previously?
First rule of negotiation: First person to name a price loses.
If they insist on knowing, I'll insist on them justifying why they should know.
When negotiating a salary only two things matter the price you want and the
price they are willing to pay. Neither of these require your salary history to
be determined.

Being lowballed can only screw you if you stay on with that company as they will
justify piddling raises on your starting point. In that case just pack up and
move.

Eric L. Dunn