Re: Experience = skill? (was various other threads)

Subject: Re: Experience = skill? (was various other threads)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:13:45 -0700

Maggie Secara wrote:

Depends on which 70%

You're thinking that you might not have the major requirements for the job in your 70%? If so, I see what you mean, but disagree. In such a case, you may still be the most qualified person who applies, or at least (to steal a phrase from Doonesbury), the person most qualified to wing it.

The four or five headhunters I'm regularly in contact with differ on many points. However, one that they all agree on is that many people are far too timid in applying for jobs. I mentioned this point today to a veteran contractor with whom I was having coffee, and he agreed.

And, when you stop and think, what do you have to lose? A little postage (and not even that if you apply via e-mail), and maybe a couple of hours for the interview. Even if you don't get the job, at least you'll get out of the house for a bit and get a chance to polish your interviewing skills.

"The heart ain't nothing but a fibrous lump
And I just wanna hear it pump."
- The Mollys, "Say Nothing"