RE: Contracting question

Subject: RE: Contracting question
From: "Sean O'Donoghue (EPA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:38:05 +1000

Whenever I am seeking work I tend to identify the agencies, contracting
specific or otherwise, that deal more extensively with technical writers.
And then target ALL those agencies with my resume.

I inform them that I want to know about the position/s they are putting me
forward for, before they fire off my resume (or the chopped up agency
database item that was created from my "perfect" resume). If two agencies
are dealing with the same potential employer - whoever gets in first and
gets my resume to the client can represent me to them, and pick up the
massively profitable returns that this entails. The other agency can rue the
missed opportunity.

At no time when going with agencies do I not keep seeking work myself,
directly to companies - but if an agency already has pitched my resume to a
client then ethically I would consider it wrong to try and "gazump" the
agency by sneaking in with my own offer, or by getting another agency to
make a different offer.

(Oh and ensure that the agency has really sent your resume - amazing how
they can overlook to do this, and then put it down as an administrative
error - very annoying if you are very actively - read desperately - seeking
a position!)

I have discovered that some agents working for some agencies would have
difficulty identifying a technical writer from a large mammal such as a
whale. These agencies get their opportunity - then I seek a new agency, and
if I come back to the original agency where the blue whale ( a very large
mammal) and technical writer confusion existed I make sure I get a different
agent from that agency to represent me.

You can tell when they have trouble telling if you are a technical writer
when they start asking questions such as:

* How much plankton do you need?

* Will you need transport or do you always travel with a pod?

I hope this information helps to answer your question.

regards and thanks,
Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes
EAA - User Information Shared Services - MC49 (49.17)