Decryption - news item of interest

Subject: Decryption - news item of interest
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:34:41 -0400

Folks,

There has been some discussion on this and on the FrameUsers list of
decrypting or opening pdf files, so I thought that the following citation
from today's New York Times might be appropriate. Bottom line, your files
aren't secure. Period. (But that's not really news, is it?) It's an
interesting read.

Marguerite

U.S. Arrests Russian Cryptographer as Copyright Violator

In one of the first cases of criminal prosecution under a
1998 federal digital copyright law, a 27-year-old Russian
cryptographer was arrested on Monday.
http://partners.nytimes.com/2001/07/18/technology/18CRYP.html?todaysheadline