Re: SUMMARY: another newbie, etc....(longish)

Subject: Re: SUMMARY: another newbie, etc....(longish)
From: bbachman -at- justicesystems -dot- com (Blaine Bachman)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:37:29 -0600

Steve Arrants wrote:
> Was the agency paying the temp's taxes (witholding, SS, state, etc.)? If so, thenn the agency wasn't really getting 45%. Some agencies give value back to temps/contractors in some way; others do nothing more than act as employer of record to run the money through.

Don't forget "and sucking up the unemployment insurance bill."

Several years ago I did a stint as a contracted Configuration Manager in
an Air Force facility. I was paid by Volt Technical who was paid by
another 'shop' (can't remember the name) who was paid by GTE Government
Services (the prime in-house contractor), who was paid by the Air Force.

I got $25 an hour - I would have liked to have seen the bill the Air
Force paid!

In my local market, TW jobs are rare enough that when a contract ends,
the extent of the effort from the 'shop' is, "Gee, we're trying to find
something for you!" I've never had two contracts in a row from the same
shop, but I have gotten two contracts several years apart from the same
shop (and not one of the "nationals" - a local outfit).

-Blaine