Graphics Questions

Subject: Graphics Questions
From: "Anton Coetzee" <CoetzAJ2 -at- telkom -dot- co -dot- za>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:37:41 +0200

Hi Guys,

A Question regards Graphics: in RoboHelp Html Ver 9.1 ( heavy
processing and time delays)

I have, as an, experiment - taken a exported Sample. bmp ( 706 Kb)
Saved as Monochrome - converted to three different formats as Sample
.GIF (49K) as Sample.jpg (242K) and Sample.png - Create 4 different
topics containing just the one graphic each Ie 4 different topics in a
brand new project (Sample - Of course, <g>) and tried to do one image
map per topic ( Plain rectangle block) .

It takes roughly 60 plus seconds to load the image and in drawing the
required box around selected object is a skill demanding much patients
and gritting of teeth. Using a Pentium 677 MHZ with 2565 M Ram other PC
with 128 M ram and 400 M Pentium takes nearly 3 minutes ) this is
irrespective of which format of graphic / topic selected.

Could any of you knowledge able people describe the process happing
behind the scenes ? The hows and why's ?

Why does it take so long to draw the Image map - ( Does RB convert the
Sample image back to a BMP or similar format to input the changes (Image
Map) ?)

I thought that using a smaller ( size) and format Ie GIF would speed
up the process and lessen CPU usage and make the files more manageable.
? any advise or thoughts ?

I did follow the previous links regards similar questions on TECHWR-L
and others but have not found any relevant answer Yet or something which
can help me.

I would really appreciate some positive or constructive advise on how
to handle this as I have a project which contains 27 similar if not
larger Bitmaps which I have to place image maps and some hyperlink to
external documentation.

Thanks
Tron

*(If anybody wish's advise on how to create four different versions of
online Help and a single word based help on a 800 topic Project in a
short time - please feel free to contact Me - We do the impossible daily
(With On Line Help only) and Miracles - well those just have to wait in
line. <G> - Our daily emergence meeting have now become Hourly - Why is
this? Bad Planning and Different Managers each overuling each other -
Depending on whom has the CEO ear at that moment.)*

Result new Online Help and Process using about method thus question -
Advantage - gaining tremendous experience and developing related
skills -
Disadvantages - To Many To Mention. - Thus concentrate on the
advantages.

Cheers for now.
Tron