RE: salary & resume issues

Subject: RE: salary & resume issues
From: Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:10:07 -0500

Amy Dohlman asked (1) whether to admit to being unsatisfied with her
previous salary when interviewing; (2) whether to move education to the
bottom of the resume now that she has some experience.

Yes and yes.

I know some folks have been agile enough to sidestep the "what are you
currently making" question, but I must be dealing with unusually persistent
interviewers. In my last job I worked nearly two years at the same wage I
started the job at, because I was on contract at a gov't agency and I was
already getting as much as they were willing/able to pay when I began. If
pressed, I stated the amount (either as a range or a specific figure) and
explained that while that wage was fine two years ago, it's now
significantly below market rates for my experience level, especially now
that I'm back in the private sector.

I don't seem to be good at the "be positive about absolutely everything at
all your past jobs" approach to interviewing. I'd rather be candid. I can
work up sparkling enthusiasm about lots of things, but my previous wage is
not one of them. :)

As for education, yes, it belongs at the bottom of the resume now, as
others have said. I felt a pang early on when I moved mine there but took
consolation in the fact that at least my resume ended on a strong note
instead of trailing off into "Personal interests: Cooking, choral singing,
gardening..." (No, that was never on the resume! <g>)

Christine