RE: Salary issues ( a twist)

Subject: RE: Salary issues ( a twist)
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:02:45 -0400

Kate O'Neill [mailto:kate -at- kathleen -dot- net] sez:

>"Haggling" over salary is seen
>by most hiring managers and HR professionals as a natural
>stage in the hiring process. They're not scared to do it,
>believe me.
>
>Those of us who don't feel confident about our negotiation
>skills should take a class or read a book -- or read a lot
>of books -- to hone those skills. Few other skills pay off
>quite as handsomely as negotiation skills do.

Oho! I can just see it now.

You, having brushed up on some popular negotiation
texts, are sitting across from an HR/recruiting pro,
whose job description includes intimate familiarity
with all the same texts (may even have written one).

About 30 seconds into the exchange, his left eyebrow
twitches ever so slightly, and the faintest hint of
an appreciative smirk is gone almost before it forms...

He says "Ah. Do I detect an attempt to blend the
Delacourt gambit with the Rennie Flip? An interesting
opening."

You smile demurely and he leans forward, over clasped
hands to say: "I counter with the Garibaldi."

Hmm. A workmanlike response that reveals almost nothing.
You test his perimeter with: "Adams... the Minnesota."

His response: "The Garibaldi, again."

The two of you disengage and circle warily for a few
moments.

"Third Aswan with the Alendl variation in backhand!"

He blanches momentarily, but recovers briskly with
his: "Seevers, with regret, invoking Nakamura."

Yes, an excellent technical recovery to a near blind-side,
you will have to tread carefully with this one.

Over your anticipatory smile you open your mouth
to assert a devastating Finkel-Tomlin... but he's
trumping you by turning his desk-clock to face you.
You recognize the Amalfi. He's definitely favoring
the Italians, and you are ill-prepared for an
extended camapaign of the Roman school. The text you
needed was delayed in shipment. Your arsenal of
negotiating techniques is therefore weak in a crucial
area, where your opponent is showing unexpected strength.

This has shaken you. You even contemplate a tactical
withdrawal... perhaps a bluff:

"Boccancini?" you venture.

"Thank you", he replies, drolly, "but I'm dieting."
Smugness, tinged with faint scorn, hangs in the air.
You have not proven worthy of your promising opening
moves. You have no fallback.
Anticipated and outwitted, you retire in disarray.

Drat! You must re-arm. Where *are* those seminar catalogs?

:-)

/kevin (who can barely negotiate his way out of a wet paper bag)