Doc files in CVS

Subject: Doc files in CVS
From: "Valerie Hazel" <vhazel -at- booksys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:58:14 -0500

Hi all,

We are using CVS (Concurrent Versions System) to house backups and changes
to our documentation. The problem is that CVS doesn't play well with binary
files (e.g. Frame files, online help, etc). It can't compare them to find
the differences and this tool essentially saves disk space by saving the
differences between successive versions of files rather than the entire
file. We tried to use FrameMaker as the external diffing tool (because it
has its own comparison tool), but when we tried it, it just says that the
file has been damaged.

Has anyone successfully used CVS for document control? Are there any other
products out there that can do the job?

Thanks.

Valerie