Re: why and how we write (was: TFM)

Subject: Re: why and how we write (was: TFM)
From: Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:55:47 -0500

Bill Swallow wrote:
". . . writing explicit instructions on how to create a link from a bit of
text to a topic in Acrobat may help on the usability side, but it doesn't
educate the user on the capability of the hyperlink functionality. Some may
argue that is secondary information; I disagree. I think they are both
equally important (usability in design, and thoroughness in presentation).
The question is, how do we do both?"

I would agree that educating the user, in addition to giving <mumble>
task-oriented help, is a pretty good idea. But I would argue that it's
secondary. (See? We still disagree! Stubborn couple of cusses, aren't we?
:)

It's secondary because very often the user doesn't want or need to be
educated about the things we believe are important. True, understanding the
deeper context of the tasks helps the user learn new things faster--the
reason we-all can pick up software so quickly is that we've picked up
enough general tech savvy and we can extrapolate our knowledge to new
things. But most users don't want to spend their time building a solid
understanding of computers and software. For them, all this stuff is the
means to an end, and the end is whatever task they're doing (or the larger
goal behind it). My coworker who needs to know why half her spreadsheet
isn't printing--because the other half is selected, and only the selection
is printing--wants to print her whole spreadsheet in the next few minutes,
not become well-versed in spreadsheet fundamentals.

And users aren't kids we can force-feed the spinach to. That's not our role
and they'll respond by not buying our products/services/whatever.

If I get a flat tire and I call roadside assistance, they send a guy out to
put the spare on my car. That's exactly what I want: that way my car gets
moving within a few minutes (after the half-hour wait) and I don't break
anything or scrape my knees on the pavement. Suppose they sent a guy who
felt that drivers should be educated on how to change a tire: after all,
change a tire and they drive for a day; teach them to change a tire and
they're set for life! Well, I don't wanna learn how to change a tire. I
don't want to spend a half an hour getting frustrated and dusty to learn
something I don't want to do in the first place. Shortsighted? Maybe, but
it's my nickel. If they sent me a tire-changing tutor instead of just
putting my spare on, I'd be flaming Honda Roadside Assistance to a crisp
the moment I got home and they'd probably cross that garage off their
vendor list.

If I *did* want to learn to change a tire, I'd go take a class or have
someone show me or read a book or something. But roadside assistance would
*not* be the place to teach me.

That's how I feel about online help--or what passes for online help at
Adobe. When I'm in online help, it's because I'm in the middle of something
and I just want to know how to fix it and move on.

</soapbox>
Christine