RE: Lying About Salary

Subject: RE: Lying About Salary
From: ppaul -at- pfs -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:47:05 -0400

I, too, have a BS degree, and 15 years in the computer industry. Whenever
asked about my educational background, I claim a BS in English Literature
and several Masters from the School of Hard Knocks. No matter colleague or
potential employer, this response always generates at least a smile in
return.

This is a prickly topic for me because throughout my work history I've had a
sneaking feeling that all my field experience is less valued than some
degree achieved in the sterile, and perfect, world of academics. My gut
response to this feeling is, Hello? Just what formal field of study could
possibly have prepared me for the realities of documenting the output of 250
software engineers pretty much doing whatever they want with the application
interface?

Granted, this feeling has come from interactions with HR automatons who
dismiss me out of the box because I don't meet some academic profile, so it
is really more frustrating than actually offensive, but still. So, in
answer to your question, Bill, in my experience, my lack higher education
has been a hurdle, but it hasn't mattered one bit once I speak to the right
person.

Don't get me wrong! I think there's value in continuing your formal
education, certainly, and I am not, at all, in any way shape or form,
bashing advanced education. Truthfully, I'm totally jealous of those with
advanced degrees, and only wish I had had the resources to study toward an
advanced degree. Given the opportunity, I'd have Masters and PhD degrees
coming out the wazoo, trust me.

Paige Paul
Ppaul -at- pfs -dot- com <mailto:Ppaul -at- pfs -dot- com>