Re: Invented Words

Subject: Re: Invented Words
From: Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:30:02 -0500

Brigitte Johnston offered this shudder-provoking example:
"We need to make note of just how impactful this is to our business."

"Impactful" drives me nuts too, not just because it's an ugly and
unnecessary neologism, but also because it's vague. The example sentence
could mean virtually anything:

* We need to acknowledge that Project Ducky kills off half our customers.

* Forget telemarketing, this new carrier-pigeon thing results in far more
sales!

* Acme Shoelace Company must pay rapt attention to the newest management
fad and pretend it will radically improve quality.

* Stop coming in late, it bugs the customers when it's 10:05 and nobody has
unlocked the door yet.

* Revenues for our typewriter-repair business are likely to continue their
steady decline if the current popularity of computers persists. We'd better
learn how to repair computer keyboards.

Christine
(opinions and irony expressed above are purely my own. mine mine mine!)