Re: Pagination Problem in Book

Subject: Re: Pagination Problem in Book
From: Bill Burns <bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 21:22:06 -0600

Hi, Carol.

The page numbering in a book I'm working on is not displaying the chapter number along with the page number. For example in chapter two, I'll have pages with -5, -6, not 2-5, 2-6.

I've checked the Set Up File menu, and each chapter shows the correct prefix. I've compared the master pages in other books I've worked on and I can't seem to find the solution to this problem.

I've checked the Adobe site, with no luck.

I think we can guess that you're working with FrameMaker, probably version 6. If you developed your template in version 5.5.6, then the chapter numbering had to be done using the paragraph autonumber. Frame now uses a <$chapnum> building block, which you set using the Set Up File dialog box. So, if you're setting the value on the Chapter tab, but your master page uses a value based on a paragraph style, you'll see just what you're seeing. Make sure that your master page uses <$chapnum>-<$pagenum>, and that should get you closer to where you want to be.

Bill Burns, Director - Northwest Office, Scriptorium Publishing
The WebWorks Publisher Cookbook now available
http://www.scriptorium.com/books/wwpcookbook.html
bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com - 208-484-4459