RE: Graphic's Question - Follow up

Subject: RE: Graphic's Question - Follow up
From: Jeroen Dekker <Jeroen -at- Square1 -dot- nl>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:05:40 +0200

From: "tronajc" <tronajc -at- freemail -dot- absa -dot- co -dot- za>

> I forgot to mention that the graphic's in question are those of business
> processes normally printed out on eiether A3 or A2 size paper - thus they
> extend beyond normal borders.(Requiring scrolling both sideways and
up/down
> to see all.

If possible, you should try not to use raster image formats for large
diagrams such as these. Instead, a vector graphics format will significantly
shrink your filesize while giving you optimal display and print quality,
zooming and scaling, and even editability.

It simply takes a helluvalotta pixels to store a large-size diagram in a
readable quality, whichever raster image format you use - GIF, JPEG, PNG or
BMP. And in doing so, you get a big bulky image that takes forever to load,
cannot be rescaled without losing quality, becomes jaggy when zoomed in
upon, varies in rendering quality depending on the screen or printer
resolution, and cannot be easily edited if needed. You either sacrifice
filesize or quality, and it's inflexible either way.

... business process diagrams are typically created in a vector-oriented
application such as Visio. Squares, circles, lines and text strings... A
vector format stores just that, making the graphic lightweight and flexible.

Now, depending on which vector formats your source application outputs to,
and which vector formats Robohelp supports, you might look into formats such
as WMF, EMF, EPS, CGM or SVG. The latter two can be viewed on the web as
well using free browser plug-ins from companies such as Micrografx (being
taken over by Corel) and Adobe respectively. All but SVG are supported by
Word as well, WMF and EMF being native to Windows/Office applications.

FYI: our commercial PS2vector software can help you generate any of these
formats from your source application if needed.

Regards,
Jeroen Dekker

--
Product manager, PS2vector
NEW: XML-based Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) for the Web

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at