RE: Benchmarking Technical Documentation

Subject: RE: Benchmarking Technical Documentation
From: Katherine Turner <katherinet -at- csl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 19:22:06 +0100

I have to agree with Richard Smith and Andrew Plato, content is more
important than format.

Ok, so I know loads about formatting templates, making docs look good and
all that stuff but at the end of the day what I ensure goes out from my
company is accurate content. Accuracy, especially under time constraints to
get a product's docs out the door is a higher priority than format. Typos do
slip through the net, but most of the time our docs are scrutinised to make
sure that this doesn't happen.

Think about it, what's more important getting a wonderfully presented doc
which does not fully explain the product or getting a not wonderfully
presented doc that fully explains the content?

Don't get me wrong, in an ideal world it would be great to have well
presented docs, but with time constraints in IT companies who are trying to
get their products out of the door as fast as possible, this isn't going to
happen unless vast resources are available.

Just my 2 cents. (2 pence UK)

Katherine

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at