RE: Benchmarking Technical Documentation

Subject: RE: Benchmarking Technical Documentation
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:54:18 -0700 (PDT)

--- Lisa Bronson <Lisa -dot- Bronson -at- ipaper -dot- com> wrote:

> Bad grammar and incorrect usage, I can overlook. But personally,
> if I find more than a typo or two in a published document, my
> trust is lost.

And since you no longer trust the document, where do you go for the
instructions to perform the process? What you are saying is that if I
create a 250 page manual on how to run a very complex process and it
has three typos, that you will disregard the manual and go it alone?

Maybe you don't know the circumstances under which the typos made
their way into the doc. Maybe the day it was to "go to press", the
writer was given 40-50 pages of new content. Maye with 3 days to go,
the writer made the decision to check to make sure the instructions
were technically correct so it wouldn't erase your hard disk and
there just wasn't time. Sometimes, there just isn't time and
priorities must be followed.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"I am a bomb disposal expert. If you see me running, try to keep up."

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at