Re: Procedural Info.

Subject: Re: Procedural Info.
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:01:44 -0700 (PDT)

""Ward, Curtis (DST-CLT)"" wrote...

> What's the best way to present procedural information where instructions
> depend on the type of software you are using?

I have a little rule about this. If there are two or less splits, just
break them out within each instruction. Hence:

1. For a Win98 system, click OOK.
Win2000 users click BLECK.

If there are more than two splits - do two entirely different instruction
sets. So what if there is repetition. Clarity is what matters. If you
bunch up to many paths into one instruction set, you'll wind up with an
incomprehensible mess. Its easier to just do two entirely separate sets of
instructions.

Andrew Plato

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at