Re: Job description

Subject: Re: Job description
From: Paul Goble <pg -at- pgcommunication -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:46:23 -0600

When I get a form that asks for my job description, I ask
myself, "Why do they care?" For magazine subscriptions,
the answer is usually 1) to sell my name to advertisers
and 2) to help their advertisers make decisions about
advertising in the magazine.

If you want to get advertisements oriented toward support staff,
answer "support." If there's another job category that better
describes the ads you want to see, select that category. It's
better for you, for the advertisers, and (probably) for the
magazine. As a writer, it can be necessary to take this approach
in order see the same publications and advertisements as
seen by your target audience.

Questions for those in the magazine publishing industry: Do
you see this approach as ethical? Could this approach cause
any problems with ABP or BPA subscriber audits?

Paul Goble

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at