RE: Needed: advice on 3d rendering techniques

Subject: RE: Needed: advice on 3d rendering techniques
From: Chris Gooch <Chris -at- lightwork -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:09:08 +0100

Bruce wrote:

Can anybody on the list point me to a book or web site that's a good
primer on 3d rendering techniques? I'm looking through the results of a
Google search, but the sheer number of results is a little overwhelming.

Hi Bruce -

several people have mentioned packages like Maya,
Alias Wavefront, etc. Many (most?) common CAD
packages include rendering, some of which are
customers of LightWork Design :-)

If you want to actually read and learn something
about the theory of 3d rendering tehniques, the
following text books are all a good starting point;

Foley and Van Dam, et al;
"Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice"
ISBN 0-201-12110-7

Watt and Watt;
"Advanced Animation and Rendering Techniques"
ISBN 0-201-54412-1
(the new version of which actually has some images
done by LWD, ahem :0) )

Glassner et al;
"An Introduction to Ray Tracing"
ISBN 0-12-286160-4

...and probably the best intro of all (still, even
after 12 years);
Steve Upstill;
"The RenderMan Companion"
ISBN errr. sorry can't lay my hands on it right now...

There are also of course many fine texts on particular
aspects of rendering or related technologies.

If you have more specific requirements contact me off
list and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction...

Chris.

Christopher Gooch, Technical Author
LightWork Design Ltd, Sheffield, England.
chris -at- lightwork -dot- co -dot- uk www.lightwork.com

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at