RE: Contracting in Vancouver, BC, Canada

Subject: RE: Contracting in Vancouver, BC, Canada
From: Darren Barefoot <Darren -dot- Barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:13:48 +0100

Hi,

As a technical writer born and raised in Vancouver, I can be of some
assistance. While I haven't done much contracting work (it's been limited to
the occasional side project), I have looked into contracting in Vancouver
and plan to contract when I return from Dublin (where I'm currently living).
So, here are some highlights:

Vancouver is indeed, next to Toronto, the most expensive Canadian city to
live in. That said, it has the best weather in Canada (not, admittedly,
exactly a brilliant claim to fame) and, for my money, enjoys one of the most
beautiful settings for a major city in the world.

High-tech is pretty much Vancouver's third largest industry, behind film and
tourism (that's a guess, but an educated one). As such, there are plenty of
software companies to choose from. Of course, the recent economic downturn
in this sector has impacted things.

Assuming you're of at least average skill, I don't think $60K a year is
unreasonable at all. I'm of a similar level of experience with a pretty
broad set of skills and knowledge, and I've charged $35-40 an hour. This was
for "side" jobs, which I did outside of my regular fulltime position. Of
course, I've charged more and less than that. It all depends on the client.

If you're interested, I've got a list of software companies that you might
want to contact. It is by no means exhaustive, but it was something my
brother and I assembled a couple of years ago when he was looking for a job.
You might also check www.bctechnology.com.

Well, any questions, etc, let me know. Thanks. DB.

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at