RE: You Don't Need to Know How

Subject: RE: You Don't Need to Know How
From: "SHIELDS,SUSAN (HP-FtCollins,ex1)" <susan_shields2 -at- hp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:16:33 -0700

I missed a lot of the earlier part of this discussion. I'm sorry if I'm
repeating a point already made (and beaten into submission)...

KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE!

How technical any technical writer needs to be depends (at least in part) on
who the audience is. If you're writing a user guide for the person who will
be using the VCR (or oven or telephone), you probably don't HAVE to have an
intimate knowledge of its inner workings -- although having that knowlege
might give you a perspective into troubleshooting, cautions, tips, etc. If
you're writing a manual for the person who will be fixing the appliance, you
probably ought to be pretty comfortable with the technology

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at