RE: Why You NEED to be technical - BUT WHEN YOU'RE NOT!

Subject: RE: Why You NEED to be technical - BUT WHEN YOU'RE NOT!
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 9:20:53

Bill Swallow writes:
"Good points, Nihau. On the flip side, being too technical could hurt the
documentation, as you'd be too close to the product to document it from a
base level of understanding (most users)."

Sorry to pick on you, Bill, but you just gave the most recent example of
something that's been bugging me through this entire
technical/non-technical discussion: the assumption that end users are
always the customer of our documentation.

While yes, the majority of tech writing work may be the production of user
guides and helpfiles, a significant percentage of what the people on this
list work on includes or incorporates detailed design specifications, API
manuals, troubleshooting and maintenance procedures/specs, the kind of
detailed reference we regularly express a desire to see for the tools we
use, detailed process flows, failure testing, system modelling, requirement
specs, proposals, analyses, and so forth.

When considering the customer as a factor in this discussion, we may want
to recognize that the users of the product aren't always the customers.

While "(most users)" may not require a significant level of detail or logic
within their docs, until a representative survey can be taken (which means
including the 1-post-a-quarter wallflowers), we cannot be certain whether
that majority is closer to 99% or 51%.

(Less than half of my documentation is for an end user, BTW -- the main
stuff I work with right now is detailed design specifications and
functional testing.)

Shauna I.
...need to go hunt me down an SME now, and wrestle some details from
him...

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at