Cross referencing an outside document

Subject: Cross referencing an outside document
From: "Field, Kristin" <KField -at- LSAC -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:59:15 -0400

I asked for info on this a while back and thought I had it figured out, but
I'm really struggling. I had a large document that I decided to break up
into smaller documents (by chapter) and then use RD fields to build the TOC
and index. Fine and dandy. If anyone recalls, my next hurtle was to cross
reference one chapter from another--specifically, the page number. The page
number format for all docs is Chapter # - page # (ex. 12-2).

Here's the scenario:

I opened Referenced.doc. I created a page field near the text I want to
cross reference. I then selected the field and created a bookmark. Let's
call it mybookmark. I then also formatted the font to be hidden. I saved
all changes. Exited.

I opened Original.doc. I placed my cursor where I want the referenced page
number to come in. I entered the following field code:

{INCLUDETEXT c:\\myprojects\\projectsname\\referenced.doc mybookmark \! \*
MERGEFORMAT} I then selected it and formatted the text to not be hidden. I
saved all changes. My result.....

The page number I am currently on in the original.doc. Why? What I need is
the page number where the bookmark is in referenced.doc. Please help if
anyone can!

Kristin D. Field
Technical Communicator/Proofreader
Law School Admission Council
215.968.1141

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at