Re: Single Sourcing

Subject: Re: Single Sourcing
From: Bill Burns <bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:45:55 -0600

Hi, Cédric.

This year, I've been developping and implementing a single source documentation strategy in my company, using FrameMaker and WWP.

I'm biased, but I like to think I'm biased for a good reason.

We use this combination of tools to great effect. For any single-source content process, you need to make some adjustments in your development approach. It also helps to know the capabilities of both Frame and WWP that can help you accomplish your goals. As Bill S. indicated, the wwp-users list at Yahoo groups is a good place to start. Our book on WWP should also help.

For exemple, what are the advantages and drawbacks of using DocBook vs. Adept Editor vs. Frame/WW and so on.

DocBook is an SGML/XML DTD. You'd use it to develop content in an SGML/XML enabled editor like Adept, Epic, or Frame+SGML. There's something called DocBook-tools available at the RedHat site, but I couldn't say anything about that application's usefulness. Are you thinking of Doc2Help by chance? If you're developing short, simple documents and currently work in Word, Doc2Help might be okay. I've never cared for it myself. I find it clunky to work with, prone to errors and file corruption, and unsuitable for work with large language sets (in localization).

Adept Editor can help you develop SGML, but you then have to render it into print or online help via some other set of utilities. It's really designed to work in conjunction with a larger content management system. If you're looking for an off-the-shelf solution, this ain't it.

Bill Burns, Director - Northwest Office, Scriptorium Publishing
The WebWorks Publisher Cookbook now available
http://www.scriptorium.com/books/wwpcookbook.html
bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com - 208-484-4459

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at