Re: Can software have human attributes?

Subject: Re: Can software have human attributes?
From: "Suchitra Kumar" <suchi_7 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 17:31:13 +0530

A random search on google brought up a reference to anthropomorphism in
scientific writing:

[from Animal Physiology (Biology 330) - Instructions for Laboratory
Reports]
--------------------------------
When describing the behavior of organisms, it is especially important to
avoid ascribing human emotions and feelings to the organisms
(anthropomorphism). We do not know what the organisms are perceiving,
sensing, or "feeling." Do not say that a spider looks dejected, responded
angrily, or was annoyed. Instead you must objectively describe how the
organism behaves and moves, by using specific anatomical terms, angles, and
rates of movements.
--------------------------------

I personally think this view of anthropomorphism is useful, with the
distinction that emotions, and not actions, are the human traits we're
talking about. (Jason <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com> made this point as well.)

However, we need to practise our beliefs *judiciously*, and decide which
actions are likely to be misunderstood and which are not.

For example, my mother, a novice user of technology, usually (and perhaps
unknowingly) ascribes human traits to machines. So when she first left a
message on her brother's answering machine, she said "please tell my brother
that his sister had called". So sometimes, you may be giving the user a
wrong impression of the way something works. Writing "the answering machine
conveys your recorded message to the owner" will probably lead a user to
think like my mother.

- Suchitra

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at