Application setup help...looking for ideas and guidance

Subject: Application setup help...looking for ideas and guidance
From: "Leslie Johnson" <lesliej -at- microsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:38:26 -0700

Hi all!

I'm looking for some opinions and guidance about product setup
practices.

I've been tasked with designing the setup for an enterprise product
we're producing, and have been told to "come up with the coolest setup
you've seen, because that's what we're going to do". I've seen some
fairly cool setups, but I also note that the setup style seems to be
changing, and I'd like to find out what other people think and prefer.

Specifically, I'm interested in...

1. How setup for one product interacts with other products that are
required, but that we don't necessarily ship. For example, one of our
products may work closely with BizTalk server. What's the best way
you've seen to handle that type of interaction?
2. How enterprise setup interacts with the IT admin for remote
installation where pieces of the product are installed to various
computers.
3. How enterprise setup handles localized bits. For example, if the user
needs to install an English version in one place and a French version
somewhere else, is it a completely separate product CD? Or is it all
included on the same CD? Questions like that.
4. How enterprise setup help works. Given that setup may use a different
process (.exe-based vs. web-based, InstallShield vs. not, wizard vs.
tabs, etc.), what are the documentation standards, or at least accepted
practices?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Please little "r" me, and I'll post
a compiled response.

Much appreciated!

Leslie Johnson