RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:52:16 -0400

-----Original Message-----
I've never met any SME's who bit the heads off of live chickens or snakes.
--------------------------

I have. Though they knew their stuff cold, they weren't very approachable...
especially at lunch...

;)

As for the whole 'geek' thread, I don't think any techie takes offense at
the term 'geek'. Related story:

At the initial presentation of my freshman orientation at RPI, we were all
gathered into a big auditorium and were told the following (more or less):

"You are all geeks. Just by being accepted into this school, you have proven
your aptitude and love for science and technology. We don't school 'normal'
people here. We are all geeks, and damn proud of it!"

The speech was more humorous than that, but that was the basic idea. From my
experiences, the term 'nerd' is actually derogatory, as it implies social
dysfunction/aversion as well as 'smarts'. Geeks tend to be social beasts.

Oh well. Stupid thread. Let's move on.

BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N