RE: Question about worth (was eLance)

Subject: RE: Question about worth (was eLance)
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:23:06 -0400

About the hiring manager being the "glass ceiling" for pay, it's ridiculous
in concept, but a sad reality. Don't get me wrong, some managers deserve the
pay and respect they command, but let's face it, being a "true" manager (one
who doesn't roll up the sleeves and help with the workload) and being a
skilled technical professional are two distinctly different roles. The
skilled professionals get the job done, and *should* be paid on a scale
independent of the managers. The managers get the planning done and make
sure the projects complete on time in a smooth fashion, and *should* be paid
on a scale independent of the managers. But, we're still in a working
society where management is seen as the next level above the skilled
workers. Too bad too, as most managers, even some of those who once were
skilled professionals, might have a hard time running with the ball on a
project compared to the more senior skilled staff.

My $0.02 through observation. I'm not saying it's the case all over, as I've
experienced exceptions as well, but it does seem to be the case in some form
more than not.

BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N